According to the U.S. Fire Administration, an estimated 128,700 fires in December account for 415 deaths and 1,650 injuries with an average loss of $10,233. Yikes! That is certainly not a warm and cozy holiday statistic, luckily however you can avoid being a statistic with following some safety precautions. Below are some fire safety tips to take into consideration when celebrating the holidays.
- Use non-combustible, flame-resistant materials.
- Never use lighted candles on a tree, evergreens or in close contact to other flammable materials.
- Check lights for loose connections, broken or cracked sockets or frayed wires.
- Fasten lights to the tree and prevent bulbs from coming in contact with the needles or branches.
- Turn off all holiday lights when leaving home or retiring for the evening.
- Be sure a natural tree is fresh and less likely to become a fire hazard. Dry trees are easy to ignite. You can do this by cutting two inches off the trunk and place in a sturdy water stand, water daily.
- Keep the tree away from fireplaces, wall furnaces and other heat sources.
- Use ‘fire resistant’ artificial trees.
Portable space heaters:
- Place space heaters at least three feet away from anything combustible
- Only operate space heaters when you are in the room.
- Never leave a space heater on overnight or near children and pets.
Careful when Cooking:
- Avoid wearing loose clothing which can be ignited by hot burners.
- Don’t store items on top of the stove, they can catch on fire.
- Turkey fryers should be used outdoors and away from buildings and flammable materials.
- Don’t fry frozen turkeys.
Document Fire Escape Plan:
- Document and practice your fire escape routes.
- Have a working fire extinguisher in the kitchen, laundry room, and garage.
- Never burn greens, papers, or other decorations in the fireplace.
- Working smoke alarms should be installed on every level of your home, test them monthly, replace batteries every six months.
Know who to call in case of an emergency:
Keep contact numbers handy for the police and fire departments, doctors and the National Poison Help Line – 1-800-222-1222.
If for some reason you or someone you know has an issue with a fire, please don’t hesitate to call MicroTech 800-716-4276 for our professional fire damage clean up and restoration services. We can be there to help clean up and rebuild after the damage.